The Prevention Educators at Hamilton County Community Services are dedicated to providing evidenced-based programs, which have been developed, tested and found to be both cost effective as well as effective in deterring substance abuse and other problem behaviors, for students in grades Pre-K thru 12. These programs are designed to help increase social and self-competency skills and awareness of the harmful health, social and psychological consequences of drug use. They also help to build upon character education qualities such as respect, leadership, self-esteem and good decision making.
SAMSHA Model Programs Offered by HCCS: For more information on the programs, click on link provided.
- All Stars http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=28
- ATHENA http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=114
- ATLAS http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=77
- Class Action http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=145
- Guiding Good Choices http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=111
- Keep A Clear Mind http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=68
- LifeSkills Training http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=109
- Olweus Bullying Program http://www.olweus.org/public/bullying_prevention_program.page
- Project Northland http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=25
- Project Toward No Tobacco Use http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=157
- Protecting You/Protecting Me http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=95
- Reconnecting Youth http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=96
- Second Step http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=66
- Teen Intervene http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=94
- Too Good for Drugs http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=75
Other Character Education Programs Available: For more information contact us at 648-5355
- The Caring Coach Program
- Learning for Life
- Start Something
- Proud to be Polite
- Bullying - Identify, Cope and Prevent
- Brain Power
- Youth Tobacco Prevention Program
- Guide for a Tobacco Free Life
- Get Real About Violence
- Get Real About Tobacco
- Giraffe Heros Program
- Right Decisions/Right Now
- Smoke Screeners
- Mind Up
Video Series Available: For more information contact us at 648-5355
- You Can Choose - Series
- The Six Pillars of Character - Series
- Integrity Matters - Series
- Proud to be Polite
Hamilton County Youth Board
The Hamilton County Youth Board is made up of various agencies and community groups who envision Hamilton County as a place where all youth have a voice and an opportunity to have a healthy lifestyle. Our mission is to create a forum for youth and caring adults to promote and provide opportunities for making positive choices.
Activities promoted and sponsored by the HC Youth Board:
- After Prom Parties
- County-wide dances
- Fall Festivals/Pumpkin Carving Contests
- Family Fun Day
- Family Movie Nights
- Guest Speakers
- Outdoor Adventure Trips for families and youth
- Youth Summits
- Wellness Fairs
- Winter Festivals
- 5K Run/Walk
ATTENTION YOUTH! If you are interested in joining our Youth Board see Allison, Brandy or Joe!
Check out our calendar of events for upcoming activities in your community!
Our Trailblazers outdoor adventure program focuses on teambuilding and provides healthy alternatives for youth to drug use. The TRAILBLAZERS ADVENTURE GROUP (TAG) activities are challenging but they are also fun. Through them, you will grow strong, meet new people and travel to new places. The participants will work together to set goals and respect each others right to choose their own challenges.
Our mission is to have youth recognize their personal strengths while emphasizing Courage, Truth, Respect, Responsibility and Character. Trailblazers is about strengthening resiliency and increasing resistance to alcohol, tobacco and other drug use. We want to help the youth in the area develop their social, physical and mental maturity and encourage them to make positive choices.
Here is a list of a few trips we have taken in the past. We are always open to new suggestions and new adventures. Click on the links below to check out where we have been!
- Indoor/Outdoor Rock Climbing www.airrockgym.com/ http://rocksportny.com/ Shanty Cliffs, LP Quarry
- Canoeing West Branch Sacandaga, Kunjamuk, G-Lake, 13th Lake
- White Water Rafting http://www.adventuresportsrafting.com/
- Hiking Chimney Mountain, Blue Mountain, Shanty Cliffs
- Skiing http://oakmountainski.com/oak/ http://www.mccauleyny.com/
- Tubing http://oakmountainski.com/oak/
- Snowshoeing Panther Mountain, Sacandaga Pathway
- Horseback riding http://www.circlebranch.net/
- Camping Raquette Lake
- Swimming Long Lake, Wells, Lake Pleasant, Piseco, Indian Lake
- Kayaking http://www.beaverbrook.net/
- Ropes Course http://www.adirondackextreme.com/
Have an idea for a trip??? Feel free to contact us and we can explore the opportunity together!
Check us out on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Trailblazers/123788434236?v=wall
See pictures of past trips and find the latest news and information on upcoming trips!
Check out our video of 2010 summer trips! http://animoto.com/play/iD2odeL91T2rf0Rig6sdvQ